Falkenstein Castle’s eventful history is reflected in the items in its collection. While traces of the Middle Ages are mainly found in the impressive architecture, the collection focuses particularly on more recent phases of use. In the 19th century, the Counts of Asseburg purchased a large stock of furnishings with the intention of turning Falkenstein Castle into an impressive residence.
Though parts of the castle had been open to the public since the age of Romanticism, it was not until 1946 that a public museum was opened. From the start, this featured the family’s 19th-century furniture, but the inventory also contained older pieces from the Gothic and Renaissance eras. The holdings additionally include numerous paintings and an important collection of hunting weapons and accessories from the 15th to 20th centuries.
The collection is rounded off by exhibits on the history of medieval law, Falkenstein Castle and everyday life at a castle.
Another focus is on the history of local tourism in the 19th and 20th centuries. In recent years, the collection of graphics, paintings and postcards of Falkenstein Castle has grown considerably.